Human Rights Policy
Tourmaline has adopted a Code of Business Conduct and Ethics which sets out key principles shared by Tourmaline and its stakeholders and representatives in conducting business ethically. To further add to our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Policy, Tourmaline has adopted this Human Rights Policy. Tourmaline believes that ethical business practices are fundamental to long term sustainability. This policy ensures that all agents on behalf of Tourmaline uphold and respect human rights as reflected in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Canadian charter of Rights and Freedoms.
This policy applies to Tourmaline and its affiliates, directors, officers, employees and contractors. In addition, Tourmaline recognizes that it is the responsibility of its suppliers and service providers to define their own policies, Tourmaline expects all supplies and service providers to conduct business practices in accordance with Tourmaline’s values.
Tourmaline Human Right Commitments
- Prohibiting discrimination of minorities, whether based on gender, race, or other minority status, in respect of employment and occupation;
- Prohibiting child labour, forced, involuntary, compulsory or slave labour, or modern slavery practices;
- Respecting the fundamental freedoms of all individuals, including the freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, the freedom of peaceful assembly, the freedom of association and collective bargaining, and other rights and freedoms enshrined in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
- Ensuring safe working conditions for all employees and contractors in accordance with applicable laws and best industry practices; and
- Ensuring security policies and guidelines are consistent with applicable laws and best industry practices.
- Good faith consultations with our stakeholders including indigenous and local communities
Tourmaline will incorporate the following strategies and processes to ensure awareness, training and compliance with our Human Rights Policy including:
- providing a copy of its corporate policies to all new employees and contractors;
- making all policies, including this Policy, readily available to employees on its internal website;
- monitoring compliance by annually requiring employees and contractors to: (i) acknowledge their own compliance with all policies, including this Policy;
- ensuring ready access for employees and contractors to anonymous and secure communication and reporting channels that allow them to safely notify Tourmaline of actual or potential impacts on human rights, including Tourmaline’s whistleblower hotline;
- regularly review and assess its human rights policies, practices and procedures; and
- consult with its stakeholders regarding human rights and other social issues;